Going Natural For The First Time

I had given birth to my second born and I realised my relaxed hair was in a bad shape. I really didn't know what to do about my hair so I decided to have some treatment done as usual, and then put in some braids. I always thought damaged hair needed braids meanwhile the more I braided my hair, the more my hair weakened. This is because I wasn't allowing my scalp to rest. Somewhere around the end of August 2010 was when I had my last relaxing but truthfully I didn't know that was going to be my last relaxing. I started researching into natural hair and I got so much information on the internet especially YouTube. On YouTube I found out natural hair was not boring after all because I had the notion that the moment I go natural, I wouldn't know what to do with my hair AGAIN! So it meant going natural was my last resort. I visited a website called Nappturality and I was blown away by what I read there concerning the chemicals in the things we use. Click on this link and you will be shocked yourself. lol (http://www.nappturality.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69:10-chemicals-to-avoid&catid=34:careinfo&Itemid=30
I therefore decided to go natural not only with my hair but my skin and even to eat more organic foods. I transition for just three months because I was so eager to 'chop' off my relaxed hair, I didn't need it again. lol
On 01/12/2010, I removed my braids and did my big chop. What I have told myself is that if I was able to relax my hair for about 10 years then I will try going natural for 10 years to see how long my hair will get. Many of us have relaxed our hair for over 10 years now but our hair hasn't gotten on our shoulder level, try going natural for just 3 years and it will pass the shoulder level. I also believe going natural means we are being true to ourselves. My hair is about 7 months old now and I love it so much, I get so many things to do with it courtesy YouTube. The most insane thing I used to do was to drive for about 90 miles to get my hair done because there is no salon whatsoever in the area I live. How INSANE! I do my own hair now including braiding, twisting, flat braiding you name it. No one touches my hair which I like and this means I am responsible for what I do to my hair. I am free and I love it!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment